RE: RGB over KAT5

  • Subject: RE: RGB over KAT5
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:59:00 +0000

Hi Steve,

I did reply to the email you sent me but for some reason it couldnt be
delivered so I will post the reply here as the content is applicable to
other users as well....

Hi Steve,

Glad you are pleased with the existing KAT5's.

I have read the detailed description below an have come to the following
conclusions....

1. You want to buy some modules that I havent marketed yet !
2. You are trying to over complicate things.

1. The KAT5 AVS is the only current production model but I have made a few
custom modules and can easily do the MCA or RGB/DVD.

2. There is no point converting to VGA before KAT5 and I dont have the VGA
versions available yet. John Sims RGB-VGA units split the composite sync
into separate H & V sync as output by a PC. Now if you are quick
off the
mark, you will realise that RGBHV=5 signals. To get that over the 4 pairs
of
a CAT5 cable involves COMBINING H & V into composite sync.....hang
on....didnt you just buy a unit to split them!

I can build you a set of KAT5 with SCARTS that will carry just the RGBS
signals (no audio) to the plasma screen. As regards the Sub-Woofer, if the
Sub is to be located near the plasma screen and the souce of the sub signal
is colocated with the S-Video source you only need a couple of modified
SCART leads.

You have stated that you do not use the Audio part of the KAT5's for your
plasma so if you make/buy a couple of SCART leads that have SCART to
S-Video
+ 2xPhono then you use the S-Video lead for the plasma and the Phono leads
for the Sub-Woofer audio.

Any further questions let me know.

I could sell you loads of units so you could build it as you describe but I
dont believe that is neccessary and I am not the kind of person to rip
people off. You may benefit from the JS converter at the Plasma end but I
would try normal RGBS into it first, you can always buy it later if
required.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv