RE: Any Novel Uses of Kat5?

  • Subject: RE: Any Novel Uses of Kat5?
  • From: Phil Harris
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:54:00 +0000

Keith's working on IR return at the moment (aren't you Keith? *grin*) but
it
can't be done right now although Keith has said that the IR module will be
retrofittable to the current KAT5 modules so don't worry about buying them
now...

I use a pair of custom KAT5s with 4 x phono sockets and 4 video channels to
send component + composite video to my projector ... at the moment the CAT5
cable between the sender and receiver is 6 inches long. Why? Well, the
KAT5s
were originally bought not as line drivers but to break an earth loop that
existed between the AV kit and my video scaler which resulted in an 85db
"howl" whenever the power amp and the video scaler were used at
the same
time.

I have also used the two audio channels of a "standard" AV KAT5
pair to send
audio from the line level outputs of my car hifi to the amplifiers in the
boot - again, breaking a ground loop which was causing noticeable amounts
of
alternator whine to be heard when driving with the stereo on.

Phil

href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=6YPUw802S6xISW4BuwYAdmTWlLNEiiJuL9r1mir3n0ZEg72mkg1iczBb0dRyYRGndfkWZz65b6Bm">dhk@i...</a>]
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=KWbMjMBlB19VJlFONv6DVnkSnEs_uhlUOMPMlXe3WPtZhBA3rSqBqqrbqMAJS7jcswCc3qdoRIhyNyBQqFMv5L2nXA">kat5-users@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=TEKLstr1G4gAEz6TPnzAX9llMvRI9mcj3doFQBEzU8kaHAeg50Sm6fXgd25mBPTNPynsEg-aFGOZ1zWd2qxk32pKAVETtfuu5g">kat5-users-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>