Audio & video distribution

  • Subject: Audio & video distribution
  • From: nickt@xxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:52:00 +0000

A few questions -

I'm predominantly interested in putting together a multi-room audio
system across my CAT5 cabling, I have rather less interest in video
distribution (though my kids will not share this view and it might
prove cost-effective!).

The Linn Knekt system would seem to be the Rolls Royce option (at RR
prices!) - will KAT5 enable me to do something similar though? I
appreciate that I'll probably need to wait till Keith offers the MCA
modules, but I'd like to be able to play CD's from a single jukebox
in any room of the house (obviously only 1 CD plays at any one time).
Maybe if I get a top quality tuner I'll distribute radio as well.

Will a single KAT5 transmitter will put a usable stereo audio signal
onto many separate CAT5 cables? If I use KAT5 receivers on these
cables in every room, will I be able to have music in more than 1
room at a time? Will it send stereo signals from 2 sources (CD &
Radio) over a single CAT5 cable? How might one handle remote control
economically (either over CAT5 or other method)?

On the video distribution front, I assume the above will not work as
well simultaneously, but will I be able to distribute video over the
cabling and watch from a TV any point (ideally not needing to ensure
that my RJ45 leads are unplugged in all the rooms I'm not using the
video signal)? Remote control issues remain the same I assume - again
any suggestions welcomed?

Answers/comments/hints all gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick