RE: Do you need a dedicated cat5 cable?

  • Subject: RE: Do you need a dedicated cat5 cable?
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 18:35:00 +0000

Hi Steve,

You do need a dedicated cable just as you would for a phone line.

Having said that, it doesnt need to be specially run. The whole concept of
structured wiring is that you run multiple cables to all locations from a
central point. Any cable can then be used for any purpose. As you already
have a PC network you must have a certain amount of CAT5 installed.

It is a really bad idea to try and use a CAT5 cable for more than one type
of service. apart from the risk of different types of circuits interferring
with each other, you need some way to separate the different devices at
each
end. This means either non standard wiring or custom made adaptors. Either
of these solutions will cost you both time and money and will lose the
flexibility afforded by a CAT5 Structured wiring system.

In time I'm sure that dedicated units will become available that will
stream
audio and video over a PC network just as the DDAR is doing for MP3 and
others are doing with PC's.

BTW. You probably wouldnt do any damage to a NIC by connecting it to a KAT5
but PC data may cause some strange noises through your speakers !!

href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=dOIANNYDHRdssWX4w7w8SJO2gf-G8fiLO1uq6-9DBb40bIid8u1Ua5pE6mbLRqdr51Ryfp3OAkg">t00ty@l...</a>