RE: VideoBalun vs KAT5 ?

  • Subject: RE: VideoBalun vs KAT5 ?
  • From: Phil Harris
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:50:00 +0000

> Hello,

Hiya...

> I am French and I am sorry for my poor english.

It's loads better than my French...

> Now, all room of my apartment have 4 RJ45 outlets.

Good start!

> Since july 2001 I search solution for transmit video and audio over
> my cable Categorie 5.

Like many of us...

> On net, before found this group I found another solution for
> that: videoBalun

<<snip>>

> you can see at this url :
ml

> for me I think balun is good solution because it don't use power
> supplies, but I don't know all possibilities and advantages of Kat5 !

A passive balun is a cheap solution but not as effective as the KAT5
units if what you are after is quality ... I have a 25m (roughly) run of
CAT5 carrying S-Video and stereo audio from the DVD changer downstairs
up to the main bedroom and the quality is faultless. I crimped
connectors onto opposite ends of a reel of CAT5 and tried that and I
still couldn't tell a difference. The image quality upstairs is as good
as having a player sat there and plugged in directly to the TV. (For me
this is important as I cannot live with inferior quality.)

A passive balun will still suffer from cable losses over any significant
distances due to its passive nature, also it will not reject
interference in the same way that the KAT5 modules do as they use
balanced line transmission which is - to all intents and purposes -
immune from picking up interference along the way.

What they consider to be an Active Balun sounds very similar to the
KAT5...

> I search solution for transmit IR.
> KAT5 have capabilities for that ?

Yes ... I have been hassling Keith for this facility and apparently it
is designed and working. Keith has promised me prototype boards for the
IR send and receive as soon as he has them ready as this is
functionality that I need too plus there is his video switcher which
needs this facility too.

> thank's for all your answer.

No worries ... Nice to have you on-board.

> M. Sebastien Gamier

Phil Harris