RE: Best way to feed TV and audio

  • Subject: RE: Best way to feed TV and audio
  • From: Phil Harris
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:53:00 +0000

> What's the best way of getting the audio signal to the amp? I assume
> through the use of two KAT5 receivers, both fed from the same (KAT5)
> transmitter. One receiver near the TV, the other near the amp. Any
> distance differences to worry about, and how do you get one KAT5
> transmitter
> to feed more than one receiver (or doesn't it mind?).

How far away will the amp be? I would suggest feeding the AV signal from
the KAT5 into the TV and then feeding the stereo audio output from the
TV to the amplifier using a plain old stereo phono lead. That way you
can route the audio signal that is being distributed to the TV *AND* the
audio from the TVs own receiver out to the external amp and speakers.
Remember though that that audio signal will be line level and not
"volume controlled" so you'll need some form of volume control.

I use this with my setup in the bedroom ... TV has KAT5 from DVD player
downstairs + RF aerial input. Stereo audio outs from the TV go to a TEAC
Ref 100 mini system so that the sound from either the TV or the DVD
(routed via the TV) can be listened to on that. The record outputs from
the TEAC go into the transmitter/charger for my Sony RF headphones.

In this way I can listen to the TV sound through the TV (when the missus
is trying to sleep and she's not in a grumpy mood), through the wireless
headphones (when the missus is trying to sleep and she *IS* in a grumpy
mood) or through the TEAC (when she's downstairs playing Elvis which I
hate and want to drown it out).

Phil