Re: Moen Digital Shower

Wojtek wrote :
> Just got a Moen digital shower. I can use it without setting up an account,
> but I find that the idle (ambient) screen is very bright.
>
> Reading the docs, I MUST:
> - download the app to my phone
> - setup an account (wants name + address + email)
> - tell the controller my home WiFi information
>
> And then I can turn down the ambient screen.
>
> Meanwhile I have given up a large amount of personal information, plus told
> Meon what my home WiFi password is, and I have an app on my phone gathering
> information.
>
> I can reach the internal controller Web Page (as it has a built-in WiFi
> router), but all I get is a "page missing" display.
>
> Is there a backdoor way to turn off the ambient display? Some HTTP command?

So if anyone reads this, I worked around the privacy issue by:
- using an old phone which does not have a SIM card to download the
Moen app
- using a spare wireless router (connected to my actual router) which
the Moen shower controller connected to (thus hiding my real router's
password)
- polluting MOEN's database by giving garbage information

After I finished setting up the shower controller, I simply
disconnected everything.

A note here. Moen wanted my home actual address along with my Wifi
login information. I find this very intrusive as amyone getting this
information could drive by the house and attach to my network

--
Wojtek :-)