Re: Energy use in "off mode" with X10 modules and LED light bulbs

On 8/27/2016 6:11 PM, Brian W. Antoine wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:56:46 -0400, Art Todesco <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/22/2016 1:05 AM, isw wrote:

>>> Yup, but noisy.
>>>
>>> Isaac
>>>
>> And still the small "leakage" continues because of the local control
>> sense current.  So, the lamp will still light dimly or flicker.  I've
>> removed the resistor (plenty of on line sites tell how).  If the clicks
>> bother you, you can modify an lamp module to make it a click free
>> appliance module (again several sites show how).  I have done this to
>> several modules and they work just fine with CFLs and now LEDs.  One
>> such module seems to get stuck in the on state after a short power
>> glitch.  I have to then do a clean power cycle to get it back to normal.
>
> There are modern applicance modules that still click loudly?  I think I
> swapped out my last original X-10 module for something programmable and
> silent at least 10 years ago.  You should also be able to program whether
> the "local on" feature is active, which is usually what wants to pass that
> small trickle current through the appliance to detect the local switch
> being toggled.  That's the current that is just enough to make a high
> efficiency light like an LED come on dimly.

The programmable appliance modules I've used, Smarthome, still squirt a
current through the appliance (lamp) for the local on/off function.
And, as I recall, the current is still present even when the local
on/off function is unused.  The current for these modules is much
smaller than that of regular older design modules, but still can make a
string of LED Christmas lights glow dimly, but less than the regular
modules.