Re: Energy use in "off mode" with X10 modules and LED light bulbs

In article <42440b87-e4f4-40e8-8c1d-b9e8ae9a91db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 marklewesq@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from using LED lamps with X10
> modules.

Shouldn't be, if you run them as ON-OFF only.

> It is pretty well known that when "off", the LED's dim but stay
> lit.  If I do not care bout them being completely off (like in a closet,
> stairwell, or garage ...), how much current drain is there if I just let them
> glow slightly.  I am switching 11 watt LED's for 13 watt CFL's.  If the drain
> is over 2 watts, then switching would not help much. If drain is lower, then
> it might make sense to let them glow in the off position.

There is sometimes a problem with CFLs flashing every few seconds, due
to leakage through an internal resistor in the X10 lamp module. The
flashing can be stopped by removing the resistor, which also prevents
local control. It is *possible* that the LED-dim problem is related.
Ping me if you feel like clipping the resistor.

Another trick to stop the flashing is to parallel the CFL with a 7-watt
night-light, which serves to overcome the leakage current. It would be
easy enough to try that with the LED lamps too. I have no idea whether
it would work ...

> I also don't understand that in one circuit it is half brightness when off,
> but in another, the glow is only noticeable in complete darkness.

Does a specific bulb do that regardless of which X10 unit it's connected
to, or does a specific X10 unit cause any bulb to do that?

> I am using Phillips non-dimmable, but they do dim - maybe they might burn out
> sooner.

If Philips says they are non-dimmable, I'd guess they mean "don't do it
because a Bad Thing might happen" rather than "it won't work". You might
ping them to see if they'll tell you.

Isaac