Re: LED dimmable bulbs with X10 switches

Bob F wrote:
> I just bought some Cree LED soft white "60W" "4FLOW filamant design"
> bulbs.
> On one circuit, with just one bulb, the bulb lights at a mid level
> when off or full brightness when switched on at the switch. The
> switches involved are the old X10 switches with a lower section that
> slides to the left to cut off all power. The problem is that the X10
> controller cannot turn that bulb either on or off. Turning other
> circuits using the same controller continues to work fine.
> On another circuit, there is a 2 bulb fixture downstairs and a 2 bulb
> fixture upstairs, all currently incandescent bulbs. If I remove one
> of the incandescent bulbs downstairs and replace it with the LED
> bulb, everything works OK, with the incandescent bulbs dimming much
> more than the LED bulb when the dimming function is used. When I
> removed the downstairs incandescent bulb,leaving the LED bulb, again
> I could not control the lights with the X10 controller. This is
> despite the 2 incandescent bulbs in the upstairs fixture.
> Has anyone here seen similar problems, and come up with any solutions
> to them?
> I do realize that the low brightness issue in the off position of the
> initial circuit is do to the switch sense feature of the X10
> switches, and that the incandescent bulbs in the second circuit
> eliminate that problem there.

I recently picked up a couple Philips "Slimstyle 10.5W (60W Repl.)" Dimmable
bulbs #9290002707. These bulbs work fine in both X10 situations described above.
On the X10 dimming wall switch, they turn on and off fine, and dim fine with
incandescent bulbs also on the circuit, although the incandescents are pretty
dim before the LEDs dim much. On the other lamp with an appliance module, they
turn completely off when turned off, whereas the Cree bulb put out significant
light, like a nite light, when off.

These philips bulbs look a little wierd, as they are relatively flat, with a
flat panel in the middle of a LED tube.

https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/philips-slimstyle-10-5w-a19-led-2700k-dimmable-bulb-60w-equivalent?CAWELAID=120150920000718360&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120150920000714548&cadevice=c&gclid=CIvb_fTHnsYCFQVbfgodkxsDNQ

Mine were $4 at HD, but that could be a Seattle City Light subsidized price, as
the Cree bulbs were previously.