Re: GE R.O. Water Filter

Pat,

I worked in water purification for some time, the real way to test for a fi=
lter that needs changing is the pressure drop over the unit. That applies t=
o the RO unit as well as the prefilter. If you run the filter too long it w=
ill rupture and the pressure drop will decrease drastically and all of the =
impurities will flow into your water.=20

For the un-fun part the manufacturer would be the best person to tell you w=
hat that pressure drop is to change the filter before you have a problem. I=
n the home automation group I suspect the solution would be to track the pr=
essure drop and have a light green as long as it's increasing and red when =
it decreases.=20

For the most part you are safe because the contaminants are limited to the =
input side, any additional bacteria that grew would generally grow on the d=
irty side of the filter. This will increase the pressure drop but not incre=
ase your risk.