DVI digital over VGA cable

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

Problem is that my computer has a DVI output, and my flat-screen TV in
another room has a DVI input (digital only) but the only wire running
through the walls is a VGA cable.

When I google it I am only finding results for adapters to go from DVI to
VGA.

I did try a standard DVI to VGA adapter on both ends and it didn't work. I
think it is only passing the analog part of the signal so there is nothing
to "convert back" at the digital end.

Thanks