Re: How to use Liftmaster garage door IR safety sensors for other uses?

On 7/2/2012 2:12 PM, Bob F wrote:
> Art Todesco wrote:

>>> Clarify for me - Is the power to the receiver pulsed also?
>>>

>> I'm not sure where the pulses are coming from.  In my case, the source
>> and receiver both have 2 wires and are actually connected together in
>> parallel and then go to the main opener unit on the ceiling.  I'm sure
>> the 6 volts come from the opener unit, however, I really don't know
>> where the pulses come from.  I just monitored, using an oscilloscope,
>> between the 2 wires.  I'm guessing that maybe the pulses are put on
>> the 6 volt power in the opener unit and when the photo receiver is
>> blocked from the LED light, it somehow shorts out the pulses.  And
>> when the opener see that the pulses disappear, it reverses the door. But, the
>> pulses could be coming from the receiver box.  Without a
>> schematic, I'm running blind.  I think I will try calling the door
>> installer to see if he has some info.
>
> Wow! I never would have thought they would be in parallel. Gotta think about
> that.

Yeah, me neither.  I called the garage door installer that put in the
openers and doors, and he was totally clueless.  Didn't know anything of
a schematic.  My guess is that the pulses come from the logic board in
the opener unit and the photo receive filters them out to power up the
receiver.  Then when the beam is interrupted, the receiver puts clean 6
volts on the wire pair, thus 'shorting' out the pulses.  The logic board
then detects this and reverses the door.  But, as I said, just guesses.
  Of course, if you are operating the units on a fixed 6 volt supply,
not from a LM opener, I don't think you'd see the pulses ... again, just
guessing.  Do you see the green LED flickering on your units?  If you
hold the 2 units together so that the receiver always sees the light
source, then move the 2 back and forth rapidly, you should be able to
see the green LED blinking (strobe effect).  My guess is you won't
unless it is connected to a LM opener.