Re: How do LED 12V Dimmable light bulb works?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:10:10 -0700 (PDT), "emoreno@xxxxxxxxx"
<emoreno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<20c824db-dbc4-4f89-a2d6-677d119e196e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I bought the following LED dimmable light bulbs :
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SFBB4I
>
>However I?m not sure how to make it work. I?m sure that I can?t just
>connect it directly to the power outlet as I can burn it, probably I
>need some type of power adapter but I?m not sure.

I use a dimmable MR16 LED in the reading spotlight in my bedroom. I simply
replaced the existing tungsten lamp in the fixture that I purchased at my
local big-box with the dimmable LED lamp.

So buy a fixture designed for 12 volt and you are go-to-go. Mine is a Good
Earth Lighting Model 199335-WH . A google search will show multiple vendors
including from Amazon.

>I would like to use an INSTEON dimmer but I was wondering if anyone
>has any experience doing this before and could share some thoghts with
>me before I buy any dimmer.

Yes. It works fine with an INSTEON lamp (dimming) module. I don't turn it on
at 100% because if I do, sometimes it will start to blink, presumably because
a protection circuit kicks in owing to over-temperature or over-current. But
that's a minor issue because it is easy to set to say 85%. Control is
typically through scenes using an ISY.

> This is the first time that I see the MR16 power input (the two
>pins), and I don?t know where to buy those either, or how to make
>connect them on serial (or parallel) to control multiple light bulbs
>from a single power source/dimmer.
>
>I noticed that this light bulb has some type of heat dissipation thing
>attached to it; but I thought LEDs didn?t produce much heat, does
>anyone know why these light bulbs have to manage heat when these
>consume only 12V?

Tungsten  lamps get even hotter that LEDs-- in fact they have to get hot to
emit light. In contrast, the LED and associated electronics cannot tolerate
such high temperatures. Despite what you may read here, white LEDs have
higher efficacy than tungsten lamps.

>If anyone could tell me what is what I need to buy and where to buy it
>to have my setup working would be highly appreciated.

I bought my MR-16 lamp fixture reading lamp at from Lowes or Home Despot ( I
forget.) It is a Good Earth Lighting model 199335-WH . A google search will
show multiple vendors including from Amazon.

I also have 12v track ceiling lighting which is more of a specialty item
available from lighting suppliers or directly from the manufacturer. I can
dig up my info on that if useful. That runs off big DC dimmers controlled by
DMX-512.  When the tungsten lamps finally burn out, I may switch over to LED.

Hope This Helps ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org