Re: Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:16:38 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <a51qv6h0qp37ajb4slls9oiasrmlqsbfi1@xxxxxxx>:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:53:45 -0400, Marc_F_Hult
><MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>But sounds to me, based on the sparse info provided,
>>that your INSTEON issues
>>were caused by incorrect/conflicting programming of the individual devices
>>rather than primarily signal problems.
>
>I didn't do any programming other than following THEIR (Smarthome's)
>instructions. IIRC, that involved pushing a button on the module and
>pushing one on the controller. Maybe there were other settings, but
>the modules were never reliable enough to try them.
>
>>There are two solution that I know of and have used to successfully install
>>INSTEON: 1) Either be very careful, and accurate, and methodical, and take
>>notes while manually and individually programming the devices using
>>Smarthome's instructions, or 2) Do all the programming through an ISY
>>controller. www.universal-devices.com
>
>I didn't know about such a device 4 years ago. I'd read about it if I
>had any intention of trying Insteon again.
>
>>For anything but a very small or toy system,
>
>Does "small" include 2 modules and 1 controller. That's all I
>connected and it still messed up.

Some points for folks considering INSTEON to ponder about the information
presented by Lloyd in his posts.

1) Based on his description " 2 modules and 1 controller" and "that involved
pushing a button on the module and pushing one on the controller" and $90"
what he was working with was entirely RF and has nothing whatsoever to do
with INSTEON performance over the powerline.  Nada.

2) None of the widely described issues I recall or have personally
experienced had/have anything to do with the actual hardware he was using. On
the contrary, my experience with the RF modules and RF controllers has been
stellar. INSTANT-ON = INSTEON. Bang!

3) Lloyd writes that "It" messed up. IMO, the odds are overwhelming that he
mis-programmed it. IOW, "He" messed up. Easy to do. Easy to fix if one can
follow instructions exactly. And when/if one "messes up", one ****IMPORTANT
*** needs to reset the modules to the factory default modules before trying
to re-program. Otherwise the subsequent programming of the devices can be
effectively cumulative (additive)  with the resulting chaos that Lloyd
describes.

4) His experience with INSTEON was four years ago, before widely described
issues with _powerline_ INSTEON that emerged were diagnosed and resolved.

So it is unclear to me what parts of his description of his experience would
usefully inform decisions by someone currently interested in INSTEON.

My dos centavos ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org