Re: Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:53:45 -0400, Marc_F_Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>Did you remove the homebrew X-10 couplers and other devices from your system?
>In particular, I remember a picture of a modification to a dryer that you
>showed to comp.home.automation years ago via a url.

I have disconnected that well before trying Insteon.

>But sounds to me, based on the sparse info provided,

That happened 4 years ago, and was a really unpleasant experience.

>that your INSTEON issues
>were caused by incorrect/conflicting programming of the individual devices
>rather than primarily signal problems.

I didn't do any programming other than following THEIR (Smarthome's)
instructions. IIRC, that involved pushing a button on the module and
pushing one on the controller. Maybe there were other settings, but
the modules were never reliable enough to try them.

>There are two solution that I know of and have used to successfully install
>INSTEON: 1) Either be very careful, and accurate, and methodical, and take
>notes while manually and individually programming the devices using
>Smarthome's instructions, or 2) Do all the programming through an ISY
>controller. www.universal-devices.com

I didn't know about such a device 4 years ago. I'd read about it if I
had any intention of trying Insteon again.

>For anything but a very small or toy system,

Does "small" include 2 modules and 1 controller. That's all I
connected and it still messed up.

[snip]

>Slick as a whistle and also no unavoidable need for PC-based software such as
>Homeseer.

I have had Homeseer. It was a lot of trouble getting around their
intentional limitations ("product activation" that assumes you're a
criminal).

BTW, I currently have a limited X10 setup (on the side of the house
where there's not too much electrical noise). It uses an Ocelot.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A humanist is an atheist who cares." -- Dr. Wendell Watters