Re: HomeSeer Pro-100 is not a mini-ITX ;-) Re: Mini-ITX PC's a the future of HA (was Re: X-10 Mister House Motion sensor problems)

Thanx for the info!

Would that built in programmable ramp be settable to ramp for an hour?  Not
that I get up to go to work anymore. but that was the speed. 0-100% in 1
hour...LOL

It is typically better (well mostly but I can't think of an exception right
now) to let the lower level devices do as many smarts as possible. Sometimes
control is needed in the middle of a loop and it it needs an abort method
from the control processor.

"Marc_F_Hult"  wrote in message

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:22:26 -0500, "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <fUJ5p.17639$kr5.9759@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I used recursion in my dawn lamp for morning wakeup alarms. I used a 300
>watt halogen conditionaled to go on only work mornings.
>
>The code called itself recursively every three minutes and brightened the
>lamp about 3% each time until over 97%. It was easier than attempting to
>write in flags in the system I was using. If a manual "lamp off" was sent
>from another controller (sick day) the recursion was aborted and
>terminated.

Ok. So "recursive" but not "recursive looping".

Yes, if you want to use the computer CPU to perform this function, HS will
let you do it, both through scripts and through HS-managed (not
hardware-based) built-in code for X-10.

Note though that most/many modern HA lighting devices provide hardware-based
ramping of output level. This is more robust with less overhead that having
the CPU/mpu track and control ramping for many devices. A single command to
the device sets the ramp rate and a subsequent single command begins the
process. The (eg) light switch itself takes care of making it happen.

>I need a new system to begin my home automation for the new house, when I
>get time. So far the X10 units have become very unreliable with a co-gen I
>am running.

Check out the spreadsheet of HA software and hardware at
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=pq2S8fvu2JXEv1Ne9TIQhdA&hl=en#gid=0
sponsored through www.cocoontech.com

HTH ... Marc