Re: fingerprint door looks

Fingerprint systems were installed on most laptops a few years back and were
abandoned due to problems. Fingerprint dirt on the screen were one problem.
I suspect a few locked out of their own laptop resulted in dropping the
idea.

I use Schlage keypad deadbolts and they work great! I tired some other
brands (the ones with the four AA batteries) and what a piece of junk. New
batteries required every 3-4 months. Need ones that do not do much mechanism
moving (like the deadbolt) off the battery energy. The Schlage 9v battery
last about 2-3 years so far.

------------------------
"Larry Moss"  wrote in message news:ipdasl$55j$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm looking for recommendations on keyless entry systems for home. In the
past I had built my own keypad entry system. I just got my hands on a basic
keypad and electric strike, and I controlled it with the Mac mini that
controlled everything else in the house. I'm moving now and want to play
with a fingerprint scanner. The kids can't forget or share codes and they
won't lose keys. The all in one units with lockset and integrated
fingerprint reader seem like the easier solution. Can anyone recommend one?

This one seems to have a good feature set and a decent price:
http://www.keylessaccesslocks.com/biometric-fingerprint-keyless-lock-150-users-keypad-prox-stick.html

Does anyone have any experience with it? Any other suggestions?

The down sides of this:

* It doesn't look like it records which person opened the lock. That's not
a critical thing, but it's nice to have a log of who's been in and out.
(and maybe even what time the kids came home.)

* If I built a system with a fingerprint reader that I could tie to a
computer, it could have different behaviors based on who opens the door.
Maybe it would send a text to let me know that the kids are home, or a
contractor doing work shows up.

* I'm sure others in this group can appreciate this. If it works out of the
box, there's no tinkering for me to do. (Yeah, it will be more reliable
than something I build that relies on a computer, but what fun is that?)

Thanks for any suggestions.