Re: R.I.P. Robert L. Bass

On 9/21/2010 11:49 PM, Petem wrote:

> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de groupe
> de discussion : i7bdnc$j0r$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> On 9/20/2010 11:57 PM, Petem wrote:
>>>
>>> "Spellcheck Patrol" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de
>>> groupe de discussion :
>>> 50e313e7-653b-4e24-9175-549695fe5d68@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> How sad someone was so bad at communicating with others that some wished
>>> him to die quicker...
>>>
>>> who could be so low... so damn bad and such a scum.. he got what he
>>> deserve and thats it..
>>>

>> If you mean that he went with the peace and comfort that comes from
>> extending the olive branch, then, I guess, you are right.
>>
>> If you simply mean death, well, isn't that what we are all destined for?
>
> No he die with the warm feeling that he got most of you.. I am shure
> that he died with a big smile thinking how a few here would post good
> things about him while he didnt even think any one here was worth more
> then a chimp..

And that's why you do not, and never will, understand.

You still think that by refusing his gesture you somehow hurt him.

Your response indicates that you have what is called an external locus
of control.  How others view you is more important than how you view
yourself.  Since that is your frame of reference, you tend to believe
everyone sees life that way - so you, in turn, believe that how you view
someone is more important than how they view themselves.

I would seem that Robert, based upon his participation in this
newsgroup, had an internal locus of control (the opposite of that
described above).

When you apologize to someone, you hope to be forgiven and if your
apology is rejected it compounds your internal misery.  Of course I am
only surmising here, but it is based upon your reaction to Roberts
apology.  What you don't understand is that the ultimate peace one can
achieve is self-forgiveness.

Self-forgiveness does not depend upon that reactions of others.
Self-forgiveness comes from sincerity.  When someone is sincerely sorry
for something they have done all they can really do is offer a sincere
apology.  Certainly there could amends made, financial or otherwise if
appropriate and possible, but in the case we are discussing in this
thread there wasn't much else that could be done.

How folks respond to that apology is really a moot point.  If the
apology is not sincere, the person making that apology knows it and it
would not matter if everyone began singing their highest praises - no
peace or comfort would be achieved since they would know it was based
upon false premise.

So I chose to accept Robert's declaration at face value, since it
mattered not a whit to me whether or not he was sincere.  That is for
his own conscience.

You say we were fooled and we are suckers - at what cost?  It wasn't as
if he was asking for money.  On the other hand, your fear of being
"fooled" or "suckered" in such a benign circumstance says quite a bit
about you.

Robert may be gone, but he lives rent free in your head...