Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

"Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>IIRC, I was trying to determine the amount of heat generated by a
>lamp module in the dimmed state, where they do tend to heat up
>quite a bit more than an appliance module because of heat
>generated by the triac.

I measured one LM485 lamp module with the 100W incandescent load fully
dimmed using the Kill-A-Watt in kWh mode. The total power used was about
2.5W. Again, not enough to generate much heat.

Appliance modules with locking mechanical relays dissipate only slightly
less power when idle than idle lamp modules - 0.4W vs 0.5W. I think that's
an indication that it's the power supplies that account for most of the idle
power. I cited this as well as the fully dimmed load on the web page I
mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't recall the details but Charles Sullivan and I both measured the RMS
output of a lamp module at various dim levels. I used both the Kill-A-Watt
and a true RMS meter. I don't recall the details (these days I have trouble
recalling what I had for breakfast or even whether I had anything) but the
readings were the basis of the data given in this link...

      http://davehouston.org/micro-dim.htm