Re: Central Vac overload

"Jim Elbrecht" <elbrecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:q5p3r5dv1lutp0dbohi49trlt79nqcubd4@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Some of you might remember my question about building a silencing cabinet
> >for a central vac.  Well, it worked, but too well.  The problem is now
that
> >if something gets stuck in the hose, we can no longer hear the immediate
> >increase in the motor load the way we used to.  On occasion, the unit's
> >motor even shuts down from the overload.
> >
> >Does anyone have any ideas how to detect the "laboring" of the motor so I
> >can sound a chime or some other alarm when something clogs the pope - I
mean
> >pipe - the Pope has enough problems of his own.  (-:
> >
> -snip-
>
> I haven't finished my second cup of coffee yet- but my instinct is go
> with 'lack of sucking'.   Put a vacuum switch just before the canister
> that triggers a bell/light/buzzer if it gets high.

You mean something like this?

http://www.inficonvacuumgauges.com/en/vacuumswitch.html

I've been looking around, but many of these switches are incredibly
expensive.  Unless I can find something cheaper, I am tempted to go with a
current sensor, which I can build out of the scrap electronics bin for $0.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.