Re: relay to control line voltage device with low voltage switch?

You don't explain what you're going to use for controlling the relay.   What
sort of appliance is on the switched AC circuit?  Some handle control like
this better than others, some not very well at all.

Russound and Niles also make controllable AC outlet switches.  They
typically use a 12v signal to control the AC outlet.  I've got a Russound
unit that controls an amp for outside speakers.  The control system closes
the DC circuit and activates the AC outlet.

Given the risks associated with 120vac it would probably be a good idea to
use an off-the-shelf, UL listed sort of device.

-Bill