OT: Superior Vena Cava Syndrome

A few of the folks in ASA have offered me prayer support in
my battle with cancer. I guess I need to ask you for that help
now.

Earlier this evening, while everything seemed normal (well,
"normal" for me is something very different from most), I
began to feel a new sensation. All of a sudden I started to
develop some strange, inflated lumps on both sides of my
jaw and other places. Edema set in very quickly. When this
happened in the past it was gradual. This time it was as if
someone had pushed a tube into my upper chest and face
and was just pumping fluid into me.

I called the hospice and they sent a nurse over quickly.
After a brief exam, she called the doctor and got the answer.
I have Superior Vena Cava Syndrome, a dangerous side
effect of the cancer.

One of the tumors in my chest is pressing against the wall
of the main blood vessel from the head and upper body to
the heart. I need radiation right away. Without it, according
to WebMD, "patients with superior vena cava syndrome
due to a malignant cause survive only 30 days without
radiation."

The strange thing about this is I wasn't feeling anything out
of the norm and I still don't have even minor discomfort.
Yet this thing was rapidly building up in my chest.  I took
some additional Rx while the nurse was here and it seems
to have helped a bit but the swelling is still significant.  It's
a little nerve-wracking, to say the least. I'd really appreciate
it if you guys will pray.

Thanks,
Robert