Re: OT: Superior Vena Cava Syndrome

On Mar 21, 3:21=A0am, "Robert L Bass" <rob...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A few of the folks in ASA have offered me prayer support in
> my battle with cancer. I guess I need to ask you for that help
> now.
>
> Earlier this evening, while everything seemed normal (well,
> "normal" for me is something very different from most), I
> began to feel a new sensation. All of a sudden I started to
> develop some strange, inflated lumps on both sides of my
> jaw and other places. Edema set in very quickly. When this
> happened in the past it was gradual. This time it was as if
> someone had pushed a tube into my upper chest and face
> and was just pumping fluid into me.
>
> I called the hospice and they sent a nurse over quickly.
> After a brief exam, she called the doctor and got the answer.
> I have Superior Vena Cava Syndrome, a dangerous side
> effect of the cancer.
>
> One of the tumors in my chest is pressing against the wall
> of the main blood vessel from the head and upper body to
> the heart. I need radiation right away. Without it, according
> to WebMD, "patients with superior vena cava syndrome
> due to a malignant cause survive only 30 days without
> radiation."
>
> The strange thing about this is I wasn't feeling anything out
> of the norm and I still don't have even minor discomfort.
> Yet this thing was rapidly building up in my chest. =A0I took
> some additional Rx while the nurse was here and it seems
> to have helped a bit but the swelling is still significant. =A0It's
> a little nerve-wracking, to say the least. I'd really appreciate
> it if you guys will pray.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

RHC: Know that you are in our prayers my friend. Its surprising how a
cancer diagnosis brings into sharp focus what is really important in
life. It gives you a strength you never know you had and provides a
clarity of vision to know what is merely window dressing, and doesn't
matter a bit.

Those who wont or cant "forgive" silly and inconsequential newsgroup
"transgressions" are of no importance to you. You have made peace with
those people in your life that count, and that is the only thing that
matters......

Please keep us in the loop and God bless....