Re: Central Vac overload

"jamesgangnc" <jamesgangnc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:a25e3d3c-

<stuff snipped>

> Does anyone have any ideas how to detect the "laboring" of the motor so I
> can sound a chime or some other alarm when something clogs the pope - I
mean
> pipe - the Pope has enough problems of his own. (-:
>
> I am going to try a test today with my Kill-0-Watt meter to see if there's
> substantial increase in current draw. I might be able to use a current
> sensor to detect the upswing and sound a chime or some other kind of
> warning. I don't want to shorten the life of the motor by letting the
> thermal overload shut it down after it has overheated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Bobby G.

<Is it possible that your "silensing" cabinet is restricting the
cooling air to the top of the motor?  Wasn't your central vac in the
garage?  Do you really need a silencing cabinet?>

I ran extensive tests, but not with the hose plugged!  I will go do that
road if Art T's solution fails for some reason.  As someone pointed out,
restricting air into the unit because of a clogged pipe could cause an
overheat if the unit depends on "vacuumed in" air for cooling.

<You're right about the overload safety switch.  It is not designed to
operate repeatedly.>

Learned from experience.  Once worked in a building with an electric furnace
in the space above the suspended ceiling that clicked an awful lot when
running.  Turns out it was miswired so that a Klixon was operating as a
limit switch, hence all the clicking.  One day, the thermal overload stopped
operating as a limit switch or a thermal protectory and the furnace burned
up, along with a lot of other stuff.  Turns out there was a defective sail
switch, as well as some other issues, and a situation ensued where the unit
called for heat, but not fan.  The fire marshal commented on how deep the
alligatoring was in the beams directly above the unit and wondered why the
unit didn't drop down to the floor below.  We even made the evening news!

So yes, don't use a thermal shutoff as a switch.

--
Bobby G.