Re: running "structured wiring"

"Nate Nagel" <njnagel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hvlcr30prd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> As I'm getting closer to completing rewiring my 2nd floor, I'm thinking
> that I would like to put cable, internet, phone, etc. in all the
> bedrooms while I'm messing around...  sounds like the easiest way to do
> this would be to use a "structured wiring" panel with the special cables
> - 2x RG-6 and 2x CAT-6 - and I'm wondering what is the best way to wire
> this.

<stuff snipped>

I would NOT use a structured wire product for a number of reasons.  First,
it's usually more expensive than the sum of the single cables.  Second, it's
usually much harder to handle than individual cables. It's very thick and
stiff and hard to bend in tight places.  Third, if you accidentally put a
nail in the cable, you have to either remove the whole structured cable or
run an additional wire through an already crowded hole.

I also wonder how long RG-6 is going to be useful.  Almost everything RG-6
can do is now "doable" with CAT-6 and baluns.  CAT-6's turned out to be a
far more universal cable, suitable for repurposing in the future when you
might have different needs.  Plus, when you get to where you are going with
a cable run, you might find that you need to run the CAT-6 to one side of
the room and the RG-6 to another.  Discrete cables make that a LOT easier to
do with far less waste.

Just my two cents.  You may have good reasons to go structured.  I'd invest
the money you save going single cable in good tools for terminating the two
types of cable because that's where 90% of cable problems occur.
Compression fittings for the RG-6 (I use quad shield cable, but won't get
into that can of worms as to if it's any better than plain RG-6 other than
being more resistant to jacket damage) and EZ connectors and a crimper for
the CAT-6.

--
Bobby G.