Re: Internet Microphone?

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:55:54 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<not-for-mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<mvfu26d8u13bs9ip6a9pmbj76fn2ojgoft@xxxxxxx>:

>I'd like to monitor the operation of a piece of machinery at a remote
>location.  It's a backup generator which runs for 10 minutes each week to
>exercise and self-test.  When I'm at the site I monitor it by listening to
>the racket it makes and so an Internet accessible microphone server sounds
>ideal, but all I can find are IP webcams with built-in microphones, which
>seem a waste of money.  Any black box (non-soldering iron) suggestions?
>
>Tony

Not a microphone, but it may do what you want to do with more flexibility and
capabilities.

A $35 WebControl can be set up to send you an email on any of a variety of
triggers/sensors. and you can browse to the web interface to see the status
of whatever you might want to monitor (voltage, temperature, on-off, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Webcontrol-Universal-Temperature-Humidity-Controller/dp/B001H4JXLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279075610&sr=8-1

I plan to replace the  mechanical exercise timer control itself on our 12.5KW
Onan standby genset with a WebcControl.

A regulated 5VDC wartwart plugged into the generator output could be used to
provide the 5vdc trigger ( no soldering required) when the generator begins
to provide power, and a second email when it turns off.  This way you would
also know if it went on at an unscheduled time.

Measuring the voltage output of  _un_regulated vdc power supply plugged into
the generator output (no soldering required)  would allow you be sent alerts
if the output voltage was too high or too low.

See  (eg) http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15005
and http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138729&highlight=webcontrol
or more discussion.

Interface is either with browser or command-line. So you could also just
browse to the interface to see status.

  Input
      Digital Inputs    8
      Analog Inputs     3
      Maximum Digital Input Level       TTL 5V
      Maximum Analog Input Level        3V
      Minimum Input Level        0V
  Output
      Number of Output  8
      Output Level      TTL 5V
      Output Current    MAX 30 mA
  Programmable Timer
      Number of programmable timer events       20
  Sensors
      DS1822 Temperature Sensor         8
      Honeywell Humidity Sensor         1
  Power Consumption
      Without Load      5MA
      With Full Load    240MA
  Power Supply
      DC (recommend)    6V to 7.5V
      AC (when DC not available)        12V

$35.00 + shipping -- A steal IMO.

http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/index.html
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol_matrix.htm

http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol-faq.html
http://www.cainetworks.com/manuals/webcontrol/WebControlUserGuide2-03-03.pdf

Barebones iPhone app:
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/CasaRemote-Webcontrol.pdf

Available/find suppliers through Amazon.com and eBay

****** Warning: the 1-wire temperature sensor interface is a work in
progress. Don't count on it. The rest of the unit appears solid in my
experience and that of many others. One can make accurate and dependable
temperature sensors that use the analog inputs (soldering required) to avoid
the erratic 1-wire temperature sensor interface.  ******

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org