Re: Internet Microphone?

"Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fen1361prl0454p7jebdd7hrfmo2rqubdk@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:00:54 -0400, Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Connect a N.O. relay to the generator output _before_ the transfer
>> switch. If the phone rings, the generator is not running.  The line
>> should be busy durning the generator test period.  As for considering a
>> telephone call, it incurs no charges and requires nothing more than a
>> [cell] phone [with available service].
>
> Thanks.
>
> Even if I could do this within 47 CFR Part 68 standards, the result would
> be
> that the phone line (along with the  property intrusion/fire alarm system)
> would be disabled during all power outages.  And, as you might guess from
> the
> significant investment in the generator, those are frequent in that
> location.
>
> I really just want an IP connected microphone.  Any advance on an IP
> webcam?
>
> Tony

You could use a cheap video server with an audio input and use the audio
input to plug a microphone in, I'm not sure if would be cheaper than a
webcam. A quick google came up with this for about $85.00
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-9100A-PLUS-N&cat=VID you could
probably find a cheaper video server with audio if you searched google in
more depth

Doug