Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"Josepi" <JRM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:VJ8%m.57$Wl3.44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Now tell us how reducing the load doesn't reduce energy usage and doesn't
> reduce pollution of any type, nuclear, coal, petroleum, hydro-electric or
> other. TOU load is not the only factor here.

See my other posts.  Power generation is a stair-step function, not a
smooth, linear process.  Power generated has to be used in real time, either
by shunting it to other power companies, raising the system voltage or
shunting it into resistor banks.   Each is a "lossy" process that doesn't
result in a smooth, linear reduction in emissions as demand changes.

> Your smokestack scrubber argument doesn't wash. OPG in Ontario has been
> using scrubbers for decades and they are all about to be removed. I
suspect
> the scubbers are not that effective and too expensive to implement.

Do you have a citation for that?  I have not heard of OPG abandoning
scrubbers.  I do know that power plant operators dislike them for a number
of reasons, least of which is the bite it takes out of profits to buy them.
I'm old enough to remember Detroit howling that forcing them to put
catalytic converters on cars would make them unaffordable.  What a load of
crap.  I wouldn't base my opinion about the worth of all scrubbers based on
a single utility's experiences with "decades" old technology.

> LED lamps are too expensive and too dim-witted, yet. Expensive equate to
too
> much production polution outweighing any lifetime benefits. The cost of
our
> health insurance on increase spectacle coverage and accidents from people
> falling down stairwells will outweigh any savings alone...LOL

You're not a native English speaker are you, Josepi?  I suspect it's why
people give you a lot of trouble about your posts.  I commend you for being
able to write as well as you do in a second language, if my hunch is
correct.   I recently bought a set of Philips LED "stumblelights" with
motion detectors to provide enough light to reach every where in the house
without having to turn the main lights on.  They are almost exactly the same
color temperature as warm CFL's and TILs, and they are quite bright enough
to light the path without "stumbling."  No increase in eyeglass or health
insurance required.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/IRD-16/MOTION-ACTIVATED-LED-LIGHTING-SYSTEM-2-PC-/1.html

> Let's face it: the general populace doesn't care about the "greenwashing"
> part of the formula, only their pocketbooks and the capitolistist economic
> system in place that hasn't made it feasible, yet.

Well, they *will* care when it's too late.  It would have been a lot better
to just stop using asbestos as soon as we had a clue it was such a potent
carcinogen.  But we didn't and we're STILL paying enormous costs to clean it
all up.  Same with putting lead in gasoline.  Boy, what a dimwit idea THAT
was and it went on for a long, long time.  Yet people act as if it's
impossible that lamps containing mercury isn't a similarly dull idea.

> Many other good points, noted.

Gee, thanks!  (-:

--
Bobby G.