Re: How to make your own home data center

> I finished the wiring part and already started to install the fiber
> glass on the walls (I had to remove the drywall and put it back
> again).

There are things like vapor barriers to consider.  Do them wrong and you
GREATLY raise the risk of mold damage.  How the barriers are installed and
how they're integrated with your existing living space depends on a lot of
other variables.  It is specifically NOT ENOUGH to just cram fiberglass
batts into the stud walls.

When you have a difference in temperature from the outside air you need to
consider moisture problems.  Warm air on one side and cold air on the other
WILL cause condensation.  This will happen in both summer and winter.
Having an appropriate barrier set up will keep it from becoming a much
greater problem (like rot inside the walls and causing mold to spread
throughout your house).  That means the wall and roof has to be set up to
allow decent air exchange to minimize the risk.  It's not hard or
necessarily expensive to do this properly.  But it can be VERY expensive
later if it goes wrong.

You should *stop* and consider paying a licensed residential construction
contractor to assist in the work.

Also consider that computer equipment can generate a lot of heat.  You need
to have a plan for getting that heat out of the space and cool air in to
replace it. As in, you can't just dump a HVAC duct into the space without
also having a means to pull it back out.  Your existing HVAC system may or
may not have enough spare capacity to do this.  If you just graft a duct
onto your existing setup you may end up raising your HVAC costs way out of
proportion.  HVAC systems are supposed to be balanced.

Where are you located?  Not specifically, what state and what climate?

Computer equipment can tolerate running in cool environments.  Too much heat
or too much moisture will cause problems.  Depending on how cold it gets in
the winter you may not need to add heat to the space.  But you'll probably
need to have a way to keep it cool come warmer days.   Depending on your
area dealing with moisture might be necessary year-round.

> If I request a construction permit at this point, will I have a penalty
> for not doing it in advanced?

That depends.  Worst case, yes you could be fined.  But not terribly likely.
More likely you'd have to remove anything that blocks the inspector from
seeing the work.  Inspections are done during the whole construction
process, to make sure the work is done properly.  The inspector needs to see
what's been done in the walls before you put up drywall.

Also consider that if you do it wrong and it burns down your house (or
causes mold damage) your insurance policy may refuse to cover anything.

When seeking a permit it might be best to limit the description of what
you're going to do with the space.  Getting overly detailed about the
network and other non-electrical wiring may cause permitting problems.
Having the non-electric wiring all installed properly (up to code) is
important for the safety of you and the property.  But getting a permit for
a 'computer room' might be a bigger hassle.  Getting a permit to put
electric in and insulate the closet would probably be a lot simpler.  Of
course, how you decide to present the project is entirely up to you.  I'm
certainly not suggesting you misrepresent anything.