Re: Utp cable bundle with 14-2 ??

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

> Yes, that's my impression as well. It
> seems like a good idea until actually put into use...

One problem is there is so much deliberate misinformation
(some people call it lying) on the part of the cable
industry.

A few days ago I got a request for tech support from one of
our online clients.  He wanted to order riser cable for use
in a house.  I asked why riser cable.  Someone convinced him
it was safer and better than "ordinary" wire.

Well, riser cable is a code requirement in specific
environments but not in his situation.  I explained that
it's not needed, will not benefit him and will cost several
times what "ordinary" cable does.  He was adamant.  Nothing
but the best.

We chatted for a while.  He's a nice guy, determined to do
the best job he can.  Nothing I said would convince him, yet
he did ask for tech support which me that implies he wants
advice from someone who knows what's needed.

Ah, well.  I helped him understand some other stuff and let
him place the order online.  I won't process an order over
the phone for you if I know it's wrong.  You have to make
your own mistake.  I haven't checked (I don't handle that
part of the office any more) but I assume he got what he
wanted.

This would never have happened if not for someone else
telling the gentleman he needed it.  The same thing happens
every day with "structured" cable.  Less than scrupulous
marketers tell less than expert clients that they will have
a better system because the cable is "special".

Look at the hype surrounding audio cable.  People buy
speaker wire with names of semi-precious stones, arrows on
the jacket indicating which end points toward the speaker,
braided with strands varying gauge so all the frequencies
will get through.... faster.

OK, that's enough ranting from me for today.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics