Re: Utp cable bundle with 14-2 ??

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

<stuff snipped>

> > But when its time to send signal that control automation module, passing
> > the wiring in one shot can be very usefull..
>
> How?  By requiring larger holes and more difficult to pull cabling?  And
> then needing more expensive connectors on the end to properly split it out
> to regular connections?  And what if the long length of cable that was
> pulled has a problem?  You'd still have to go back and pull more wire.  In
> the end it's easier and cheaper (by a lot) to use separate cables.

Bill, we disagree on a lot of things, but you're 100% on the mark here.

Structured cable is an idea whose very short time has come and gone.  It's
stiff, hard to manage, impossible to staple, requires larger holes, requires
much more time and bother if a segment fails and costs a hell of lot more
than uncombined cables.  The only place I see it used now is in huge
installations where keeping associated wires together outweighs all the many
deficits.  Doesn't sound like it's the case here.  While I might use it if I
got a spool for free, I would never specify it for a new project.  It's
become so unpopular that it's probably possible to get structured cable for
less than combined cables simply because vendors want to clear their
inventory.

Even if the poster isn't sending Ethernet over the UTP, whatever he *is*
sending (multiplexed video comes to mind) is still subject to the same
problems that arise from running data cables too close to power ones.  It
could be OK if he is running cable to CCTV cams, because the power supply
could be low voltage DC, and not likely to cause any interference problems.
Without knowing what the wire is being used for makes this a guessing game.
Maybe the OP can enlighten us.

--
Bobby G.