Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

On 2010-04-23, Robert Green <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [stuff about Braun wheelchair conversion]
>
> It's a great system, but it's got its flaws.  Number one is that you need
> almost a full car width worth of space to deploy it and maneuver the
> powerchair off the ramp.  I can't tell you the number of times I've come
> back to find the side completely blocked off.

I've gotten into arguments with people that park in the striped off spaces
next to the handicap space. Some people refuse to believe that space is
striped off to keep you from parking there. "The wheelchair is painted on
the other space. This one isn't being used and I need it."

> I'd love to hear suggestions about how to keep the space next to me
> unoccupied.  I used to keep a traffic cone in the van, but it got stolen the
> third time out.  The second time out, someone just moved it aside.

I often park at an angle, covering part of the striped off space (or
another adjacent space if there are no van accessible spaces available).
That way, there's still room for the ramp and the chair, but not for
another vehicle.

> The other problem is manuevering out of the powerchair and into the driver's
> seat.  It would be a lot better if there was no driver's seat and you could
> maneuver the chair directly in front of the steering wheel.  I know such
> conversions exist - maybe on the next van.

There are advantages to having a driver seat since you're able to do the
transfer. The biggest one is that someone else can drive, if needed. While
it may be your vehicle and no one else needs to drive most of the time,
there are emergency situations where just having that ability to
accommodate another driver is nice.

That said, I'm actually very interested in driver side power chair lock
down systems right now. The problem we've run into is that the ones I know
of (EZ Lock and Permalock) require a special chair and/or a modification to
the chair. In the case of the EZ Lock, the mod is a non-retractable pin
that reduces ground clearance. A lot of people talk about getting hung up
on threshholds, stones, broken sidewalks, etc. The Permalock is only
available for Permobil chairs. I'm open to suggestions on this one. (I'm
also open to a more appropriate place to ask this. I'm not looking to
hijack a thread. But the OP brought up the topic.)

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695