Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"WW" <ccco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Be-dneKukqRKL1HWnZ2dnUVZ_v-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > I've got the typical minivan keyless entry keychain fob but it's got a
> > serious design problem.
> >
> > The buttons depress too easily and often accidentally when the fob is
> > pushed
> > into a pocket or a purse.

<stuff snipped>

> Had same problem. Glued small O rings around bottons with super glue.
> Problem solved. CAUTION don;t get any glue into edge of switch buttons. ww

That's what I normally do, especially on things like pocket voice recorders
that have an "itchy" delete button, but this is a "designer" sort of device,
with curved, triangular shaped buttons arranged in a circular pattern.  Very
hard to "washer up."  The best thing would be if I could somehow make a
casting of the outer shell and build a second layer of plastic in the same
shape and size as the current cover.

I'd grind down the tops of the buttons, but they are cast rubber membranes
and that wouldn't work.  JimH's solution of putting washers inside on the
circuit board to make depressing the switch require more force has promise,
but it may be hard to implement without a lot of trial and error sizing.

JimH, if you are reading this, your idea gave me another one, in combination
with this one.  I can put a spacer between the two halves of the fob and
raise the frame around the buttons about an 1/8" higher all around and that
might be enough to solve the problem with the minimum of effort and bulk.  A
1/8" thick piece of plastic, a tracing of the top half, a little drill and
Dremel work and it could do the trick.

Thanks for the input, WW

--
Bobby G.