Re: I need an out of the house remote

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:18:02 -0400, "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>No solidstate dimmer light switch is going to handle 800 watts and fit in a
>regular 2.5" deep switch box.

Thanks for replying.  I don't want to dim them. Just on and off.  I
can go to a bigger box if necesary. I'm doing all this as a favor to
them, but that wouldn't be much extra work.   But not in order to get
a dimmer, which I have no use for.

>Install an X10 switch and change 3/4 of the lamps to CFL lamps. You will

Do they make CFL floot lights?

>have to leave some of them to make the X10 switch module operate correctly.
>The CFL lamps will be very dim in cold winter months for the first few
>mintes but the incandescent ones can be interspersed between them for
>instant full brightness.

These things will only be on about 5 minutes a day, (unless they have
a party or something), to help her come in when it's dark and to not
trip on anything.  She sometimes has a hard time walking.

>A wireless receiver with antenna could be placed in the closest recepticle
>to the entrance the control is desired from on arrival.

The antenna would be a good thing, absolutely.  Then how do we get
from the receiver to the on-off switch?  I don't have experience with
this stuff.

>More than 50' may be
>pushing it for stock X10 remote control distance.
>

>Motion detectors on each or set of lights would be more practical. If none

Not in this case.  It's complicated to explain.  The primary goal is
for the lights to go on when she turns them on from within the car.