Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"Ned Flanders" <ned.flanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:SFrzn.89216

<stuff snipped>

> My new car will re-lock the doors if the unlock button is pressed but a
> door (or the lift gate) is not opened within 30 seconds.

Are those power doors or manual ones?  Both my side door and my hatch are
powered and open all the way by themselves when a button is pressed.

My van is a "conversion" done by a company that works with Chrylser and gets
the vehicles in a semi-stripped state so they don't have to remove stock
items to do the conversion:

www.braunability.com/

Pressing the key fob slides open the right side door, lowers the van about
six inches and then deploys the ramp.  You'd think you'd hear that racket
walking away from the van when you've accidentally activated the system, but
it's really very silent.  The only exception is when the van has not been
used for a while and the suspension binds just enough to make a loud bang
when the van begins kneeling.

It's a great system, but it's got its flaws.  Number one is that you need
almost a full car width worth of space to deploy it and maneuver the
powerchair off the ramp.  I can't tell you the number of times I've come
back to find the side completely blocked off.

I'd love to hear suggestions about how to keep the space next to me
unoccupied.  I used to keep a traffic cone in the van, but it got stolen the
third time out.  The second time out, someone just moved it aside.

The other problem is manuevering out of the powerchair and into the driver's
seat.  It would be a lot better if there was no driver's seat and you could
maneuver the chair directly in front of the steering wheel.  I know such
conversions exist - maybe on the next van.

--
Bobby G.