Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

On 2010-04-24, Robert Green <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> aside, I believe the cops where I live have learned that harassing people
> who call them lowers their workload because they know they'll never call
> them again.

For me it's usually two calls.  One to the cops and one to the press.  At
least, I always suggest on my first call that I'll make the second. I've
had wonderful luck with the media supporting me when we've had problems. I
also do better when I get the managers of stores, hotels and restaurants to
call the cops. A local business complaining about a disruption frequently
gets further than an individual with a complaint. If nothing else, it lets
the cops know that there are multiple people involved and that makes it
more significant to them.

> That's a good idea.  Angle parking would allow more maneuvering room with
> the ramp, too, even if no one parked in the shaded zones.  II'm a little
> fearful of doing that because some parking lot vigilante might take
> exception to the disorderly look of a diagonally parked car and key me.

Thankfully, that hasn't happened to me yet.

> Most of the times, (ironically) I just go to the far end of the parking lot
> and look for a space where I won't be easily blocked off.

I do that all the time. I also have the luxury of being able to drop off my
wife and then park since I'm not the one in the chair. This gets us around
the people parking us in most of the time too since I can move the van. But
we're hoping that she'll start driving soon. She's in a driver training
program now and we're experimenting with equipment. We treat it like it's
her driving all the time in order to work out all of this stuff for when
she's alone.

> This thread has reminded me to install the two xenon flashers I got from
> Allelectronics on long fiberglass rods so that the powerchair is easily
> visible to motorists as I scoot through the parking lot.

link? I can't find it. I've put reflective tape all over the chair.
Flashers might come in handy some time. She just got a new chair and I
haven't taped up the new one.

> I have, but do not use, the EZ-lock for that reason as well as others.

It doesn't take a lot of searching to find people complaining about EZ
Lock, so why isn't there something better out there yet? The Permalock
doesn't seem like the ideal solution either (even if you have a Permobil
chair) from what I've read. I'm not suggesting it's an easy problem to
solve.  And I don't have a solution. It's just frustrating.

One thing we've talked about is putting the EZ lock on the old chair. Then
she can use the better chair most of the time and only worry about the old
one when she needs to drive. She'd do the transfer in the house where it
would be much easier.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695