Re: Central Vac overload

Most appliance motors do have a thermal cutout designed into them. Many
people repairing their own stuff will just cut it out of the circuit once it
goes.

Get the Vac unit into a repair place and get the thermal cutout replaced.

<trader4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Mar 30, 5:54 pm, "John Gilmer" <jlgil...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > Some of you might remember my question about building a silencing
> > cabinet
> > for a central vac. Well, it worked, but too well. The problem is now
> > that
> > if something gets stuck in the hose, we can no longer hear the immediate
> > increase in the motor load the way we used to. On occasion, the unit's
> > motor even shuts down from the overload.
>
> Believe it or not, the "motor load" is usually at a minimum when the vac
> is
> completely blocked off.

Which of course then begs the question, so what's the problem?   I
agree that with many pumps the speed increases when the line is
plugged, because the impeller is cavitating and just spinning freely.
That means the power and current go DOWN.   So, why the need for a
system to prevent the motor from overheating?

The only logical conclusion would be that the motor depends on the air
moving through the vacuum for cooling.    Even given that, I can't see
how the vacuum could stay plugged up and running long enough for that
to happen frequently.   Surely after a minute or two of vacuuming
you'd notice the head is no longer picking up dirt, that the head
moves freely over carpet instead of being sucked down, etc.

It would seem to me that if this were a problem that occured
frequently enough to matter, all systems would have some built-in
protection besides the thermal cuttoff and the thermal cuttoff is OK
for something that happens once in a blue moon.

Regarding a blue moon, I ask again, how often does this occur?   I've
had a central vac system for 17 years and it hasn't clogged once.   If
it's happening frequently, sounds like whatever is causing it is the
real problem that needs addressing.