Re: thermometers?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:57:28 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <1bpr9wkjqv.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I'm looking to put thermometers in several rooms, reporting back to the
>central controller.  So...  anybody know of any off-the-shelf solutions
>that don't involve running new wires?  The closest thing I've found is
>weather stations with PC interfaces and a remote sensor, which are (a)
>expensive, and (b) give me only a single extra sensor.  Something I
>could put in a junction box and power from the house 110 would be
>great.
>
>Ideal would be an INSTEON module, since I'm using that for everything
>else.  Second choice would wi-fi, since that's the other network I've
>got in the house.
>
>At the moment, my best bet is looking like building something with an
>XBee radio module, which just seems ridiculous.  Somebody must have done
>this before!

A commercial $75 solution is the HSM100 - Z-Wave Multi-Sensor which
incorporates motion, illumination (light), and temperature sensors in one
battery-operated, wireless module.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HSM100---Z-Wave-Multi-Sensor-HomeSeer-P438C57.aspx

As I understand it, one has to run Z-wave on HomeSeer to make the light and
temperature work.

One can hope that SmartHome comes out with an upgrade to their 2420M INSTEON
wireless motion sensor to provide temperature, humidity and light sensing,.
http://www.smarthome.com/2420M/Wireless-INSTEON-Motion-Occupancy-Sensor/p.aspx

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org