Re: What is X-10?

X-10 was a company that made a set of remote control electrical devices
using the power lines for transmission of the remote messages.
The transmission protocol was licensed to other companies and became a very
common (within the small home automation area) method for operating line
items via remote and computer control.
The system was not robust enough for critical items since it was possible
for interference to cause some signals to be lost or to trigger
accidentally.   If your door doesn't lock because of interference, it is
bad.  If your stove turns on because of interference, it could burn your
house down.

They also made (at a later time) some surveillance and alarm items that
could be used independently or slightly connected (triggering other items to
turn on when a door is opened) to the remote system.

I doubt that anyone would call it a significant security system because it
would be too easy to defeat.  However, the sensors can do things like turn
on your bathroom or stairs lights as someone enters the area and
automatically turn them off after they leave.

--
Bill Fuhrmann