Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

On Nov 6, 10:41=A0am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> A Dell Dimension 2400 reads 0 watts on my Kill A Watt and 2VA with PF=3D0=
.6.
> Under power it uses 33-36W.
>
> Anyone concerned about the standby power has succumbed to the mumbo-jumbo
> disinformation from nitwits like Bass & Hult. According to the DOE, 9% of
> residential electricity went for lighting (a couple of years back).
> Residential use is about 1/3 of total use so that means residential light=
ing
> uses about 3% of the total. In the USA, coal accounts for about 50% of th=
at.
> So the reduction in mercury in the atmosphere is minimal from switching t=
> CFLs while the danger of mercury in your kid's bedroom has increased
> enormously. The reduction in carbon dioxide from switching to CFLs is lit=
tle
> more than a rounding error - it's not likely to keep the Maldives afloat.
>
> Recent figures show TVs now use 8-9% of residential electricity as a resu=
lt
> of the proliferation of big, flat-screen TVs. So all those folks who
> installed CFLs have been on a fool's errand - subsidizing the carbon budg=
et
> those who have bought new TVs. Of course, Wall Mart made money on both th=
> CFLs and the TVs.
>
> "Josepi" <J...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> er in sleep mode requires very little power with the modern
>

> >efficient switching power supplies and no mechanical parts turning. I wo=
uld
> >have to measure one to get actual figures.- Hide quoted text -

Also the supply chain to make a CFL is huge and deep, involving much
mining, manufacturing, chemical refining, and shipping.

An incandescent consisting of 5 low-tech parts is way cheaper to make
in terms of total carbon footprint just to get it on a store shelf.

Nobody ever seems to consider that the CFL is already playing catch up
with the incandescent next to it on the store shelf in terms of carbon
usage, even before anyone has applied current to said bulbs yet.  But
CFL's do provide more jobs to make all the various parts.