Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

"petem" <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "RickH" <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de
> groupe de discussion :
> 0b6bd17e-a9e2-4cbd-9498-632cca6a4609@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> No, it doesn't.  A router that can send the WOL packet can wake a PC
>>> listening for it.  No added PC necessary.  Just that the PC you intend to
>>> wake up needs to have WOL built into it.
>>>
>>> Alternatively you could use a router that has a serial port and use
>>> that to
>>> control a relay that will listen to RS232.  Bit more of a
>>> jump-through-hoops
>>> sort of solution though.
>>>
>>> -Bill Kearney
>>
>> If my PC has no power applied to it how can it possibly "listen" to
>> anything.  I want it completely powered off, not on standby.
>>

> An ATX pc is never really off..
>
> In fact part of the MB is still under power..
>
> how do you think the pc turn on just by the press of a small momentary
> switch...

Well, you're right that an ATX PC is never truly off.  But a circuit
that would go truly off, but could power up with a switch like ATX,
wouldn't be hard.

> you can even see that the MB is under power by looking at inside the
> box while the system is supposed to be off. you will see at least one
> led on..

And, as I understand it, an ATX computer that is "off" can wake-on-lan.
I've got no idea how much power an ATX machine draws when "off".

But they also have a switch on the back which is "truly off".  What the
OP is looking for would end up being the equivalent of hitting that
switch.