Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

salty@xxxxxxx writes:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:19:05 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
> <pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>This I can readily believe -- but that's absolutely not what the
>>automotive "replacements" that try to drop a bunch of LEDs in to replace
>>an 1157 are like.
>
> We are not talking about the cheap chinese 1157 replacements.
>
> I have a car that came from the factory with LED tail light/brake
> lights. Trust me, they are a lot more visible from any angle then any
> incandescent tailight you have ever encountered.

A taillight engineered around an LED array can work at least as well as
incandescents, with all the longevity and energy savings of LEDs.  I can
also believe in an LED array engineered to fit behind a particular
existing lens, which would also work as well, though I've never seen it.
But this discussion started (when I brought up the topic) with drop-in
retrofits for auto taillights -- ie cheap Chinese 1157 "replacements".

And those fail for all the reasons that have been quoted enough times in
this discussion that I snipped them this time.