Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

"Robert L Bass" <Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "RickH" wrote:
>>
>> At first people said ethanol was a net energy
>> saver too.  But after a similar analysis (like
>> including the manufacturing chain above in
>> total cost) it is now well-agreed that E85 uses
>> more energy to get that gallon to the pump
>> than the gasoline in the next pump.
>
> Ethanol may not be a net energy saver but it does reduce dependance on
> middle eastern oil.  That, IMO, is a good thing.
>
> I spend a lot of time in Brazil, where my car and my motorcycle run on
> a mix of gasoline and alcohol (made from cheap sugar cane; not
> overpriced corn sugar). The cost is less than straight gasoline and
> milage is not significantly different.  The Brazilian government-owned
> oil comany, Petrobras, claims that production costs -- both financial
> and environmental -- of ethanol are very close to those for gasoline.

Ethanol may be a good idea, but not as the US has pursued it.  Sugar
cane is a good choice; corn is a lousy choice.  Remember the fertilizer
comes from middle eastern oil...  it takes a lot of effort to show a net
benefit on that one.

Algae is looking *very* promising, as a better US approach.