Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:19:05 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
<pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>salty@xxxxxxx writes:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:37:57 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
>> <Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>Therein lies the problem.  Lamp housings using reflectors or prismatic lenses
>>>for nav lights and other purposes are designed to use a light coming from a
>>>single point.
>>
>> You are already off course. ;-)
>
>Umm...  you know boats and I don't, but when talking about automotive
>taillights he's exactly correct.

Sorry, but he's not

>>>Incandescent bulbs do that rather well.  An LED array can't work
>>>as well in that type of lamp because only a few of the LEDs are at the focal
>>>point.  Light emitted from the rest of the LEDs will be scattered in wrong
>>>directions.
>>
>> Way off course. The alarms are now sounding and crew are running up on
>> deck.
>
>No...  exactly correct for autos.

No, not correct for autos.

>>>That does not mean that LEDs can't serve well in nav lights -- only that they
>>>don't work well as replacements for standard bulbs in *existing* lamps.
>>
>> Not true. As I said, they have to perform to strict legal standards -
>> and they do. I did not replace any fixtures for my nav lights. All
>> done with drop in LED arrays made to completely and legally reproduce
>> the same or better light. Couldn't do it if they didn't comply. LED's
>> can be mounted in arrays on the surface of any shape in order to give
>> full brightness in all directions needed. They individually have a
>> fairly narrow beam, but you simply mount a bunch of them so that the
>> beams overlap. I'm not speculating about this. I have them on my
>> sailboat. So do a lot of other folks.
>
>This I can readily believe -- but that's absolutely not what the
>automotive "replacements" that try to drop a bunch of LEDs in to replace
>an 1157 are like.

We are not talking about the cheap chinese 1157 replacements.

I have a car that came from the factory with LED tail light/brake
lights. Trust me, they are a lot more visible from any angle then any
incandescent tailight you have ever encountered.