Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

"Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> There no doubt that houses are getting "smarter" all the time.  More and
> more new homes are coming with goodies like alarm systems, intelligent
> controls for HVAC, pools and sprinklers and even devices to monitor power
> consumption in real time.
>
> I've seen a lot of very expensive and complex systems to manage the
> functions of "smart homes" but I've never come across something as small,
> powerful and inexpensive as this unit:
>
> http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/
>
> I've cross-posted this in comp.home.automation and alt.home.repair because
> I've seen a lot of posts about monitoring house conditions like
> temperature
> remotely in both groups.  I was first alerted to the product in a  thread
> about USB home control in CHA.  In that thread:
>
> _USB module for monitoring multiple on/off switches_
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/c2b9c0f65d305acf/1544156821a9bff?q=USB+module+for+monitoring+multiple+on/off+switches
>
> Marc Hult recommended this device instead as a much more practical way to
> "communicate" with your house remotely than USB devices connected to a PC.
>
> It took me a while to find the secret URL and I don't give cainetworks an
> A+
> for website design - this product doesn't even show up on their "Product
> List."  They seem to be a server load balancing company and I would guess
> they built this thing for themselves as a service tool and then began to
> realize it had other applications.
>
> I have no interest in the company, other than as a customer and it's too
> early to tell whether I am a happy customer or not!
>
> WebControl interests me for a number of reasons:  it can automagically
> send
> emails to a PC or a cell phone when a looked-for condition occurs,
> assuming
> you've got a constant internet connection.  This condition could be a
> furnace failure, an out-of-bounds temperature, water on the floor or any
> number of other events that can sensed electronically.
>
> It's got plenty of inputs - it can accommodate a Honeywell humidity
> sensor,
> up to eight Maxim DS1822 /DS18B20 12bit 1 wire temperature sensors, eight
> digital inputs, three analog inputs and 20 different timers.  It seems
> from
> my Google searches that these are popular with cigar lovers (to keep their
> treasures at constant temps and humidity) and in-home horticulturists
> growing various "herbs."
>
> My first project will be a sensing project, too:  I'm hoping to use it to
> continually monitor how much power the whole house uses in real-time.
> I've
> read about a number of test projects using "smart meters" and they all
> pretty much say the same thing:  People who know how much power they are
> using at any one moment will end up reducing their average monthly
> [...]

I've got a vacation home with an ancient and expensive temperature sensing
setup that I installed 20 years ago. This looks like a nice way to upgrade
so
I just bought one. I'm a VB programmer, but have never done any cgi stuff,
and the
manufacturers 'void warantee' blurb scares me. Does anyone know of the
existance
or whereabouts of some sample temperature sensor cgi code? Google didn't
help.

Thanks in advance for any information.

John S.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4580 (20091106) __________