Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

A Dell Dimension 2400 reads 0 watts on my Kill A Watt and 2VA with PF=0.6.
Under power it uses 33-36W.

Anyone concerned about the standby power has succumbed to the mumbo-jumbo
disinformation from nitwits like Bass & Hult. According to the DOE, 9% of
residential electricity went for lighting (a couple of years back).
Residential use is about 1/3 of total use so that means residential lighting
uses about 3% of the total. In the USA, coal accounts for about 50% of that.
So the reduction in mercury in the atmosphere is minimal from switching to
CFLs while the danger of mercury in your kid's bedroom has increased
enormously. The reduction in carbon dioxide from switching to CFLs is little
more than a rounding error - it's not likely to keep the Maldives afloat.

Recent figures show TVs now use 8-9% of residential electricity as a result
of the proliferation of big, flat-screen TVs. So all those folks who
installed CFLs have been on a fool's errand - subsidizing the carbon budget
those who have bought new TVs. Of course, Wall Mart made money on both the
CFLs and the TVs.

er in sleep mode requires very little power with the modern