Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Don Klipstein wrote:
> In <as4gg5105di34fagqq7qvdu1olbilna2q9@xxxxxxx>, salty@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:18:48 -0500, Nate Nagel <njnagel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Right, my original comment was referring to retrofitting
>>> LEDs in an older vehicle.  Nothing good seems to be available there, at
>>> least not in a plug and play (or nearly so) solution.
>> I've seen plenty of direct replacements for 1157 incandescents,
>> complete with standard bayonet base.
>
>   And they produce less light than 1157s, have different directional
> characteristics than 1157s, and produce light from different physical
> locations than 1157s do.  They do not achieve the same optical results,
> and none of them have much chance of meeting specified upper and lower
> limits of candela in every one of the dozens of specified directions in
> any legally required motor vehicle external light fixture ever certified
> to work properly with incandescents.
>
>   They do make street-legal LED fixtures to serve taillight, brake light,
> rear turn signal, and backup light functions.  They even make aftermarket
> ones, though they generally fit more easily into buses and trucks than
> into cars, pickups or SUVs.
>
>  - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)

Truckers and USPS seem to love those retrofit kits. Almost all the
little Grumman postal vans and 40' commercial trailers I have seen
recently have them, with mounting rings looking newer that the rest of
the vehicle. Makes sense- for people on a schedule, a deadlined vehicle
due to a burned out bulb costs a lot more than the 1-time cost of the
changeover to LEDs, which basically should outlive the vehicle. Just
program the changeover in whenever the next scheduled service is. I
presume they are factory installed on any built in the last few years.

--
aem sends...