Re: fridge/freezer temp and RF?

> "The Chaney 00985 Wireless Refrigerator and Freezer Thermometer is a
> compact digital thermometer that helps you safeguard your food investment
> with programmable temperature alarms for both fridge and freezer. The
> 00985 displays current refrigerator and freezer temperatures in big, bold
> digits and recorded minimum and maximum temperatures in smaller digits.
> You can select °C or °F for displayed temperatures. When temperatures fall
> below preset minimum values or exceed preset maximum values, the 00985
> activates both audible and visible alarms so that you are informed and can
> take appropriate action. This digital thermometer comes with two wireless
> remote temperature sensors. The remote numbered 1 is for the refrigerator,
> and the remote numbered 2 is for the freezer."

I picked up one of these cheap off fleabay and it's just ok. I went with
this because the RF sensors don't require running a wire out of the enclosed
fridge.  The audible portion of the alarm is pretty weak.  That and the RF
range isn't very far, granted in my 50's era faraday cage-like house nothing
RF works at anything close to it's claimed distance.  The reviews on Amazon
state it's best to use lithium cells for the freezer unit.  I've only got
alkalines in there now, we'll see how long they last.

At some point I want to get better environmental sensing integrated with HA
stuff.  But it's such a hodge-podge of incompatiblities that I'm in no
hurry.

-Bill