Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:21:41 -0500, Robert L Bass wrote:
>> I'm getting toward the end of my 2 year conditional residency,
>
> IIRFC, we didn't have that pahse.  Because my wife was already here on a visa
> when we married, we just applied for the green card.  It took about 18 months
> back then though I think it may differ depending on country of origin, current
> circumstances, etc.

Aha, OK. I think it took me about half that time, but I get a green card
for 2 years then i have to do more paperwork to turn it into a full green
card (I've got all the rights of a full GC now, but I think they just
want to hear from people 2 years down the line to make sure they're still
married and aren't playing the system). I must be classed as something
like a "non-permanent permanent resident" right now ;)

> My cousin's wife (coincidentally, also from Brazil) recently became a
> citizen. Her cost was mainly for the lawyer because she fouled up her
> paperwork at one point.

I've hated the paperwork so far - there's a lot of stuff in there that's
a bit ambiguous. I can see why most folk hire lawyers to take care of
it...

[snip]

> Have you been abroad since getting the "conditional"?  There's an
> inconvenient surprise for many folks upon returning.  Instead of being
> routinely processed through customs, you get side-tracked to a separate
> office where they question you more about your trip.  It can take
> anywhere from a few minutes to several hours before you get out to
> whoever is waiting for you and there's no way to make a call (cell
> phones are prohibited in customs).  I'm not sure the reason for this
> step but it's a royal PITA if you arrive at a busy time.

Well, I got "grilled" in Chicago on my 4th trip over on the VWP, and it
delayed me for about 30 mins - I had to hoof it to make my next flight.
But it wasn't a bad experience (I'd heard some real horror stories) - the
staff were polite and courteous and were happy with the answers I gave
them.

Just frustrating not knowing in advance whether you're going to get
'caught' in that process though (maybe it's better now, but all the online
airline ticket companies at the time didn't give the option for saying how
long you wanted between landing in the US and getting a connecting flight
- if the first flight was running late it could be tight enough as it was)

I've not tried going out of the US and back since I was granted residency
- probably won't now either as I've only got until Feb before I have to
apply to get the 'full' green card.

cheers!!

Jules